How to use fresh reads
I REALLY want to use the fresh reads that go along with our weekly units in the Scott Foresman Reading Street 6th grade reading program.
Here are the drawbacks:
1. The fresh read passages themselves are pretty boring
2. I don’t have a lot of time in my schedule to plug them in
3. Some of them are hard to understand
4. The questions are HARD!
Here are the good things:
1. They are a great preparation for state testing because of the passage formats
2. I could easily use them to teach different strategies since they are short texts
3. I could use some of their questions, but also make up my own
Here is one plan that I have come up with-not sure if it is workable or beneficial, but I’m game for trying it out!! This would be if I used the fresh read every other week instead of weekly. I could use an “article” from a newspaper or magazine the 1st half of the week-then the fresh read for the 2nd half of the week.
Monday- High interest article-introduce reading strategy-read and practice reading strategy
Tuesday-High interest article-read again practicing reading strategy
Wednesday-Fresh read-read and practice reading strategy
Thursday-Fresh Read-read again practicing reading strategy
Friday-Assess using the fresh read and questions about fresh read
Anyway, this is just a thought! I’ll probably change my mind again over the summer! 🙂